The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear". We believe that every believer should be prepared to share his / her faith with others and even look for opportunities to do so. Here are a few things to help you take advantage of the devine opportunities that come your way.
If you are about to share your faith in Jesus with a co-worker, a neighbor or just walking up to a stranger, you want to have something prepared to say. At the same time you don't want to have a script that you read and sound robotic. Evangelism is about having a love for God and people and a passion to see people saved. Use any of the three tools below where they help you, but be led by the Holy Spirit. Also, please share your experience with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The eBand If you are using the eBand, here are the meanings of the colors (we use the eband as a reminder to share our faith). You can order the eband at (https://shop.e3resources.org/eband/), and instructions at (http://e3resources.org/content/Downloadable_Items/eband_insert.pdf)
If you have just led someone to Christ or they have questions, here are a few must do's:
- The first thing that a believer needs is to be around other believers who can encourage them and answer quetions. Be willing to pick them up and take them to church, or meet with them regularly to answer questions and teach them everything you know about the wonderful God that we serve and His Word.
- It is extremely important that a new believer begins to learn God's word. Be prepared to give them a Bible. If you don't have one buy one or your church most likely has a, "give away Bibles", for new believers that you could ask for. Hightlight important Scriptures and sit down and explain the Word to them.
- Prayer is essential to our walk with the Lord. Don't assume that they will figure prayer out on their own. Have a conversation with the new believer about the importance of talking to God through our Lord Jesus and pray with them. Teach them to expect to hear from God either through His Word and through the unique way that He speaks to each believer, the quiet voice inside.
- Be honest with them about trials. Do not let them think for one moment that the Christian life is perfect and without trials. In Acts 14:22, Paul made this clear to the new believers in Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch.
- At some point, explain both communion and baptism. If you are uncomfortable with this seek help from a pastor or leader at your church.
These are simple things that will help any new believer begin to walk with the Lord.